Your choice of Linux distribution can have a tremendous impact on the cost, security, stability, and performance of your computing environment. Whether it’s due to limited features, slow performance, high licensing costs, or compatibility issues, there are a number of reasons why you might consider switching to a new Linux distribution. It’s time to make a move to Rocky Linux if your current platform has these issues:
- High licensing costs: Licensing costs can be a significant expense for enterprises, and for large deployments, it can be prohibitively expensive. This was one of many reasons that drove Rakuten to choose Rocky Linux for its entire infrastructure. For users looking for more affordable alternatives, Rocky Linux fits the bill: it will never have any licensing fees.
- Expensive and inflexible support plans: Users may be concerned about the costs associated with support and maintenance services, particularly if they are using older versions of a Linux platform’s software. For those looking to save money, CIQ’s current pricing delivers a significantly lower total cost of ownership (TCO) versus other commercial Linux distributions on a per-unit basis with our support plans. In addition, many Linux customers are frustrated with support structures that are unnecessarily complicated and would prefer a platform with a more straightforward pricing model. CIQ’s support structure is flexible, enabling customers to save money with flexible pricing: we don’t count, audit, or bill for systems, entitlements, cloud instances, virtual machines, or containers because they don’t count; it’s the people who count.
- Unstable/slow performance: If you’re experiencing slow performance, frequent crashes, or other stability issues, it may be time to move to a new distro that is designed to handle these issues. A new distro such as Rocky Linux can provide improved performance, increased stability, and better hardware support. Rocky Linux’s latest version includes Peridot, a completely cloud-native build system, which facilitates quick and seamless releases of the Rocky Linux distribution, as well as routine maintenance software updates and security patches.
- Limited customization options: If a Linux platform has limited customization options available, users could be driven to consider other platforms that offer more flexibility. Rocky Linux is fully customizable, offering full access to its source code with Peridot, so users can view, modify, and improve upon it according to their unique needs. While Peridot enables anyone to build, enhance, or reproduce Rocky Linux independently, CIQ’s support team is available to help users customize it. We can even create custom images and containers for your software.
- Lack of free or open source options: Some companies may offer a free, community-supported version of their Linux distributions, but they do not offer a fully open source version. Users who want a completely open source Linux platform may be motivated to switch to a different option. Rocky Linux is 100% open source, built for and by the community, and it will always be a free and independent project.
- Lack of community support: One of the primary strengths of Linux is its community. However, the reality is that many of these resources are lacking in quality and often outdated. Rocky Linux, on the other hand, is maintained by the Rocky Enterprise Software Foundation (RESF), and is developed and maintained by a passionate community of contributors, including developers, testers, documentation writers, and users. The Rocky Linux community—more than 10,000 strong, and growing— is open, inclusive, and welcomes contributions from anyone who is interested in helping to improve the operating system.
Switching to Rocky Linux can be a great way to take advantage of improved performance, lower TCO, customization options, enterprise-level support, and a strong community of contributors. If you’re experiencing any of the issues listed above, it may be time to consider making a switch. If you are looking for a free and customizable Linux platform that is 100% open source with no licensing fees and a simple, flexible, and less expensive support structure, you’re ready for Rocky Linux. There’s a reason why it’s the fastest-growing Enterprise Linux distribution!
CIQ is an official Support and Services Partner and Founding Sponsor of the Rocky Linux project; reach out to us to learn more about how CIQ adds value on top of Rocky Linux and other key open source technologies in the form of escalation support, customization, optimization, integration, and professional services.